The college has a records that began in 1858 while Dhaka Brahma School changed into founded in 1858 via Dinanath Sen, Prabhaticharan Roy, Anathbandhu Mallik and Brajasundar Kaitra.
The call Jagannath faculty was given by using Kishorilal Chowdhury, the Zamindar of Baliati in Manikganj, who took over the school in 1872 and renamed it after his father. In 1884, it turned into raised to a 2d grade university.
Law become one of the first guides brought. A not unusual management committee administered the school and college until 1887, while the school phase changed into separated to shape the independent Kishore Jubilee School. It is now referred to as K L Jubilee School. The management of the college turned into transferred to a board of trustees in 1907. In the subsequent yr, it became a primary grade university.
The college started out with 48 students and in five years, the roll raised to 396. In 1910, Raja Manmath Roy Chowdhury, the zamindar of Santosh, Tangail, affiliated the Pramath-Manmath College of Tangail with Jagannath College. With the established order of University of Dhaka in 1921, it stopped admission to degree publications and turned into renamed Jagannath Intermediate College. This status turned into modified after 28 years in 1949, when it reopened diploma instructions. The college become taken over by using the authorities in 1968.
Jagannath College opened honours and masters programmes in 1975. That yr the government yet again took over the university and upgraded it into a postgraduate college. In 1982, the college closed its programmes at intermediate level. The university brought evening shifts in 1992.
It became converted into Jagannath University in 2005 via passing a bill named Jagannath University Act-2005 in the countrywide parliament.